E-MU 1010m, ESI Juli@, M-Audio "Audiophile" or ... ?

Hi everybody,

after your kind suggestions, I have done some search in the "pro"
and "semi-pro" sound card arena to find a suitable and affordable
card for my needs.

In the end, I have found a few possible candidates. According to
the manufacturer specs, all of them are capable of "bitperfect"
digital output (pass-through) as well as synchronization with an
external clock source.

I still can't decide for one, and am still looking for your advice.
Here is a short table with a few comments.

E-MU (Creative):
http://www.emu.com/products/category.asp?category=505

0404
	pros: transformer coupled coax SPDIF I/O;
	cons: I/O trough "breakout" adapter cables.
	chipset/driver: emu10k1-fpga
	Linux support status?

1212m
	pros: ditto + direct connections without adapters for both coax
	      and TOSlink SPDIF I/O (also ADAT capable).
	cons: ?
	chipset/driver: emu10k1-fpga
	Linux support status?

1010m
	pros: same as 1212m, without analog board - should be cheaper;
	cons: no analog I/O;
	chipset/driver: emu10k1-fpga?
	would it work with Linux?

ESI (Ego Sys)
http://www.esi-audio.com/products/julia/
http://www.esi-pro.com/viewProduct.php?pid=43

Juli@
	pros: manufacturer explicitly says: "Linux compatible (ALSA)"! :->
	cons: no TOSlink input (only output), coax SPDIF I/O via "breakout"
	      adapter cable (is coax I/O transformer coupled???).
	chipset/driver: ice1724
	what about real Linux support status?

M-Audio
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=pciinterfaces

Audiophile 2496
	pros: ?
	cons: no TOSlink, coax SPDIF I/O only via "breakout" adapter cable
	     (is coax I/O transformer coupled???)
	chipset/driver: ice1712
	Linux support status?

Audiophile 192
	pros: ?
	cons: no TOSlink, coax only (is coax I/O transformer coupled???)
	chipset/driver: ice1724
	Linux support status?

According to this, my order of preference would be E-MU 1212m (or maybe
just 1010), followed by the 0404, the Juli@, the AP192 and AP2496.

Nevertheless, the main problem -which may radically change preference- is
Linux support. For the E-MU, Matrix says that support is only coming with
ALSA version 1.0.15... I'm afraid it's a bit too early for these... :-?

Are there other options?

I was also thinking RMEs, but all of them looks way too much complicated
and expensive for my needs.  Same for well known digigram cards like the
VX222 or VX442.

Back to more "consumer oriented", cheaper cards, what about the

Onkyo SE-200PCI ?

Perhaps, the cheapest options would be the nice Chaintech AV-710, but
sadly it lacks digital input and any clock sync possibility. :-(

Any other option? Comments? Suggestions?

Tnx again.

Ciao e grazie,
                                Paolo.

--