Re: no sound in flash plug in

On Tuesday 27 November 2007 10:08, mike wrote:

> sound works on the most applications only the flash plug in for my
> firefox, there is like mute. it's unhelpful to load the OSS-emulation.
> (yesterday it was also a sdl based game without sound.  but today it
> works(i'm wondering)).
> anyone a idea?

In case you didn't know, the old OSS interface only allows one and
only one application (at once) to use audio... if you have one app
running and try to run another one, the latter will not be able to
use audio.

Perhaps you are using a desktop environment like KDE or Gnome and
have some sound server (artsd, esd, jackd, ...) and/or some other
program running which opens /dev/dsp and keeps it busy?

Unfortunately, there are still several programs (in particular some
non-free/commercial ones) which either only knows about the old OSS
interface or still use it by default. :-(

If you are using a sound server, make sure to configure it properly
to use the ALSA interface (and not the old OSS one).

Personally, I use KDE and (since ALSA eventually became the default)
I prefer to keep ARTS disabled and rather instruct all applications
to directly use the ALSA interface. This has a few side effects, but
for me those are rather minor, so I don't care. YMMV.

If you happen to have some apps which still only know about the old
OSS interface, make sure you run only one of them at once.

If you use some sound server (again artsd, esd, jackd, etc.) you may
try to use a "wrapper" (such as artsdsp) to run the OSS-only app, but
I have to say that my experience with them was not that satisfactory.
Again, YMMV.

About SDL, AFAIK now it has an ALSA audio plugin, though it may or
may not be installed. Make sure it is.

(...and, if they're installed, also remove the audio plugins that you
don't need, such as the OSS one).

Hope it helps.

Ciao,
                                Paolo.