Creative Audigy 4 Non-Pro: p16v, p17v, resampling...a mystery!

Is there anyone on-list that can explain what the audigy4 non-pro
actually can and cannot do? I've heard a lot of vauge and conflicting
stories..

Firstly, I've heard (both from other people, and I believe I can hear
the difference) that all audio is resampled to 48kHz when output.
Creative were incredibly vauge when I contacted them about this, which
makes me suspect that it's true. Surely if it didn't resample then they
would make it clear, as that would obviously be superior behaviour
(excluding hardware mixing, etc..).

Secondly, what's the deal with the 'p16v' and 'p17v' chips? What are
they and what can they do? I've seen passing references to both in ALSA
changelogs and around the internet, but nothing seems very specific. Do
they allow audio to be output at the correct sample rate? Should I be
able to take advantage of them?
Again I've heard a lot of contradictory stuff about these chips,
clarification would be very welcome!

The only bit of information I've seen which looks vaugely promising is
the comment on this bug:
https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1706
Does this mean that at some point it will be possible to output
high-definition audio without it being mangled/resampled?

Many thanks in advance!
-ol