Re: "best" card for "bitperfect" SPDIF I/O with external clock sync ?

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:33:39 +0100
Paolo Saggese <pmsa4-alsa@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a question for you guys.
>
> (I'm new to this list and hope this is the right place to ask
> and not an FAQ... I've tried to search to see if this question
> had been answered previously, but I have been not able to find
> what I was looking for).
>
> I'm thinking about using a dedicated (fanless, diskless, etc)
> PC as a digital source for my hi-end Hi-Fi system.
>
> Of course I plan to use the PC only to provide a "bitperfect"
> (exact copy of the original media, normally CD) digital stream
> to an external DAC.
>
> As you probably know better than me, the one major known problem
> when you strive for the highest possible quality in digital audio
> reproduction is jitter... and the best (if not only) way to really
> minimize it is to use a good, clean and stable clock close to the
> DAC chip, slaving everything else to that one.
>
> Thus, what I would need to do would be to "slave" the sound card
> SPDIF output clock to the external DAC clock i.e. to make this one
> become the "master clock" for the whole digital audio stream.
>
> AFAIK, one possible way to do this is to set up a "fake" SPDIF
> output from the external DAC and connect it to an input of the
> sound card whose SPDIF output goes to the DAC for conversion.
>
> Of course the sound card must be able to "slave" (synchronize)
> its SPDIF output clock with the one coming from its SPDIF input.
>
> (BTW: are there other -perhaps easier and/or better- ways to do
> what I would like to do?)
>

> Thus, I would need a sound card which must be:
>
> * cabable of "bitperfect" (pass through) operation at CD standard
> 16bit/44.1KHz (as well as, possibly, also at higher resolutions and
> sample rates such as 16/48, 24/48, 24/96 and 24/192).
>
> * capable of "slaving" its SPDIF output clock to an external one,
> such as the one reconstructed from its SPDIF input.
>
> ....last but not least, of course all of this must be done on Linux,
> thus the sound card must be fully supported by ALSA! 8-)
>
> Well, yet another requirement is... that it should possibly (and
> hopefully) not cost me a fortune! $-)
>

> Thanks in advance for your attention.
>

> Ciao e grazie,
>                                 Paolo.
>
> --
> Skype: Paolo.Saggese
> http://borex.lngs.infn.it/saggese
> You can still escape from the GATES of hell: Use Linux!

Extracting data digitally from CD is unrelated to soundcard.

Perform web search for 'cdparanoia'.

In fact, if you want reliable sound, first transfer data from _all_ your
audio CDs to HD and then play it from there.

Regarding soundcard and syncrhonization - M-Audio Revolution 7.1, and
quite possibly M-Audio Revolution allow you to use external clock
source.

I have never used SPDIFF myself though.

Regards,
  Sergei.