Re: How can I determine volume level from data?

Bill,

   You are right, I don't know what I am doing.  I am not knowledgeable enough
to ask the right questions.  I'm looking for a reference about what the data
returned by the sound device means.  I found this:

   http://www.cs.odu.edu/~wild/cs477/Fall97/mm1.htm

But it does not completely answer  my questions.

   I think my confusion is how one byte can represent all of that data?  Is each
byte a step in the 'sine wave'?  How do you know where the start, in an X,Y
scale, where is Y-zero?  Do the drivers all ways return data starting at Y-zero?
If you get an over-run or under-run, how do you sync up?

   I am not looking for an answer( 'A fish' ) as much as a reference ( 'Place to
fish' ).  I have been looking at source for SoX and record but it is still not
clear.

   I hope this is more clear?

   Thanks for your time.

William Estrada