Roland-Edirol UA-25

Dear ALSA users,

I'm very new to the list, just subscribed right now. In order to do
recording of musical live events I previously just used the internal
sound card of my ThinkPad T60, which is not too bad for an amateur at
all, I think. The only problem is the humming if you run on AC, so I
always did the recording on battery, thus being very limited in time.

I looked for another solution which must be usable on GNU/Linux. Having
looked through the ALSA wiki and googled around a bit, I decided to go
for the Roland-Edirol UA-25. I got it yesterday, plugged it into the
notebook, configured Audacity to use the new sound card for recording,
clicked ok ... crash.

Then I visited the ALSA wiki again and while reading the documentation
I noticed that the device was shipped with Advanced mode on, 96 kHz
rate and playback as default, which was the reason for the crash in
Audacity. Once I configured it properly, it worked.

But while looking at the UA-25 page of the wiki in more detail, I
noticed that there is one typo consistently throughout the whole page
(http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Edirol_UA-25). There's always
written 41.1 kHz instead of 44.1 kHz (and 41.100 Hz instead of 44.100
Hz which by the way should not have a dot as thousands separator in
English, should it?). Perhaps someone should fix that? Apart from that,
nice documentation!

Concerning the sound quality of the device itself, I have not done
intensive testing yet. But at least when recording total silence with
the UA-25 there is no offending hum even when recording on AC. I will
have to do a proper test with live music, but based on the missing hum
and based on what I read on the net so far, I think the decision to go
for the UA-25 was not the worst one.

Greetings,
Stefan

--