Re: Alsa-user Digest, Vol 19, Issue 18

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Robert Easter wrote:

> alsa-user-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 12:25:36 -0800 (PST)
>> From: Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> One way is to get a new laptop. A second is to tell us exactly what you
>> have.
>> lspci
>> Look for Sound, or for Intel HDA  (if indeed that is what you have) and
>> post it here.
>> To get it to work premanantly put the right lines  into
>> /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/modprobe.d/<appropriate-file>
>>
> The breakdown (sorry!) of the  whole thing is that I installed the latest
> Kubuntu and got the full updates in.  Saw that I had no  sound.  Also saw

The linux kernel includes alsa. I am not sure which version Kubuntu has in
its latest, but it is either 1.0.14 or 1.0.15.

> that from adept & synaptic there did not seem to be any sound installed with
> the OS, so installed (?) the alsa packages that seemed to fit this machine

There certainly is sound installed -- it is part of the kernel.

Not sure what the "alsa package" was that you installed.

> (no brand-specific files for HP, etc.).  None of these made a difference or,

Nope. Sound cards are "generic" and the installs are not for specific
machines but for specific versions of the sound card chipsets.

> as I remember, even showed up   in any guis.  Then I saw wiki-alsa
> troubleshooting page and followed the directions for installing alsa
> components (mixer,..)
>
> Now I did not log the changes, and the page seems to have changed since I used
> the instructions on it, but the terminal commands, as stored,  that have to
> do with it all are as follows.
>
> As far a the kernel goes, I thought the whole affair was about installing
> modules distinct from the kernel itself, but maybe I have the wrong idea of
> the kernel as being a discrete, read-only, "unmoved mover" in the software
> hierarchy.

No, the modules are (often) part of the kernel. The open source ones are
put in by the distros. Closed source ones or third party modules may be
installed separately.

> lspci
> sudo apt-get install build-essential ncurses-dev gettext
> sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.22-14-generic 2.6.22-14.46
> sudo mkdir -p ~/Desktop/alsa*
> sudo mkdir -p /usr/src/alsa
> sudo ls
> sudo cp ~/Desktop/alsa*
> sudo mv  ~/Desktop/alsa* /usr/src/alsa
> sudo tar xjf alsa-driver*.bz2

It would be nice to know which version of the alsa-driver you installed.
Before 1.0.15 there was a bug in the installation routines which did not
erase the old snd- modules which meant that incompatable sound cards could
get installed.

> sudo tar xjf alsa-lib*.tar.bz2
> sudo tar xjf alsa-util*.tar.bz2
> cd  alsa-driver*
> sudo ./configure --with-cards=hda-intelsudo ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel
> sudo make
> sudo make install
> cd ../alsa-lib-1.0.*
> sudo ./configure
> sudo make installsudo make install
> sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev

So, the important thing is that you compiled and installed the modules. But
it sounds to me like you have an older alsa. Make sure you download the
latest alsa-drivers.