Re: Cannot hear audio during record

> On my Dell Inspiron 1720 (Sigmatel based
> intel hda) I cannot enable audio passthrough
> as I record. On playback the recordings have
> worked fine, but its kinda tricky to punch-in
> a bass guitar track in Ardour if I cannot hear
> the bass while I'm playing it! Even jack cannot
> patch the capture channel to the audio output.

Have you tried running qjackctl?  You can make connections for jackd using that gui controller.

Alternatively in ardour2, you can enable the mixer editor.  View -> Show Editor Mixer (Shift+E).  It's available in pre 2, as well, but located differently in the menu.  Once showing, click on the audio track in question.  Click on the Output button(bottom-ish of the mixer) and select Master Out, or 1+2.  Also some access to it in Windows -> Options Editor (Cntrl+O) -> Audition Tab.

Just bear in mind that some soundcards (especially onboard ones) are NOT full duplex.  What comes out the speakers will get captured in what's recorded in the new track.  Even if it's not (in theory) able to get picked up by the mic/line doing the recording.  i.e. Expect some bleed through, unless you have a nicer soundcard, or playback through a soundcard other than the one recording.  And expect some timing/sync issues if you do use two cards, even of the same make/model.

Worst case scenario, you can run the guitar through a GT brick and pipe output to your soundcard and an external monitor.  But that'll probably mean some new external gear and some serious cash.

HTH