Re: Acer woes

http://sanctifusion.blogspot.com
Are you sanctifused?On Monday 12 November 2007 16:42:24 Jan-Benedict Glaw
wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-12 16:27:14 -0600, Robert Easter <easter.robert@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > On Monday 12 November 2007 14:39:50 Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > > should re-install your distribution's kernel package.

> > > You mucked up your drivers, instead of fixing them. Would have been
> > > nice if you told that in the very first email...
> >
> > Wonder where I go from here?  As far as I could tell, I was just
> > following the prescribed steps to get the  sound to work on this thing!
> > If that weren't it, wonder what is!
>
> As noted, I guess you'd first re-install the original drivers to see
> how they work, or why they don't work.  Also, as somebody else in this
> thread stated, it couldn't be wrong to put some Linux CD into the
> drive and boot off that. I'd use Knoppix, but everybody has their
> baby.
>
> MfG, JBG

Thanks for the tip!  At the risk of repeating the obvious, the only way I know
of doing that would be to scrub and re-install the whole Kubuntu system. I
went to Kubuntu for the reason of it seeming to be a little more integrated
than Fedora (and Fedora's increasing bad habit of choking down the whole
system if one program had issues- like Win95.).  For what it's  worth, the
sound did not work right off with Fedora either.  A visitor from  out of town
did something to make it work, though the hardware detectors (HAL, etc.,)
could not detect the sound card even then.

The point of the matter is that I do not know how to get the drivers for this
(apparently) cobbled-up laptop to make with their intended hardware (assuming
that is the problem).  If it turns out to be some other problem, I don't know
how to fix that either.  What do  I do to make this sound card operate, and
to get really optimistic, how do I install the odd codecs & plugins in such a
way to be sure, once they are  "installed," that they actually operate?

Peace,

r.e.