Re: in-line volume control of Logitech Premium USB Headset 350 not working

absil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The problem is that the in-line volume control of the Logitech Premium USB
> Headset 350 does not work with Mandriva 2008.0, which ships with package
> alsa-utils-1.0.15-0.rc1.1mdv2008.0.

This looks the same as the other USB headsets I've seen: the "in-line
volume control" is actually a tiny keyboard :-)  It has two keys: volume
up and volume down.  The mute button, if it has one, is slightly
different: it actually cuts the microphone off (or at least mine does)
which may or may not also send a mute keypress event.

There are a variety of "multimedia keys" apps out there -- if you get
one and set it up to do the right thing with the volume up and down keys
you should get the keys to do something useful.

It's actually possible to be very specific: one of the /dev/input/event?
files will be associated with your headset and it's possible to do
something specific to those volume keys.  I haven't seen any apps (apart
from a test program) that can do something with the event files those.
Maybe one day I'll write one.

jch