Re: Play different sounds on speaker and headphones

On Nov 9, 2007 2:32 PM, Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Staffan Hämälä wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wonder if it's possible to somehow play one sound on the speakers and one in
> > the headphones? I know that this is possible if you have several devices (e.g.
> > an USB headset). Skype can play the ring signal to one device, and use the
> > headset for speech - but how is it when you only have on-board sound?
>
> No. One soundcard has one processing path. Ie, one soundcard cannot act
> like two soundcards.

Actually some soundcards support this (like emu10k1).  You can use the
"front", "rear" and "centerlfe" PCMs independently.

I would not expect cheap onboard laptop/mobo stuff to support it.

A workaround is to use a sound server like JACK, this lets you address
each output channel independently.

Lee