5.1 VIA HDMI question

Hello all,

I am building a new HTPC system which will hopefully solve
my being able to play 5.1 AAC audio.  Currently, when the
HTPC encounters a 5.1 stream, it has to decode it and
reencode to AC3 before sending it over the SPDIF via an
ALSA plugin.  Looking as some of the mainboards with HDMI
output, they seem to do only 2 channel so I'm wondering if
a 5.1 HDMI solution exists yet for the PC.

Looking for example at the Gigabyte GA-g33M-S2H, the
product literature regarding the HDMI is rather confusing.
First, it says it's capable of lossless output of Bleu-Ray
and HDDVD titles.  However, the manual also says that the
HDMI port can output 2 channels pcm, AC3 or DTS over the
HDMI port.  That would seem inconsistent with behing able
to do HDDVD lossless as that is 7.1 96k which would
need to be decoded.  I found something similar when looking
at a BioStar board with an nforce chipset.  The HDMI in
these cases would appear to offer no more functionality
than SPDIF.

So, just wondering what's out there and which chipsets
might offer full audio HDMI to ALSA.  I imagine it would
have to be on the actual motherboard as the HDMI somehow
has to output video as well so a dedicated soundcard won't
work.  Maybe a video card with HDMI would though.

Tia,
Shane

--
http://www.cm.nu/~shane/