Re: ALSA Problems with Intel 82801G, microphone on DELL Latitude D820

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Peter Gruener wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it looks like a huge peak, see attached file. Additionally there is a
> continuous level of noise (background noise).
> There is nothing running in parallel. Additional info: I am using the gnome
> desktop environment.
>
> btw: the mic and hardware are working perfect on windows xp (dual boot).
>
> Peter
>
> Bill Unruh wrote:
>>  On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Peter Gruener wrote:
>>
>> >  Hi again,
>> >
>> >  having no reply, here's some update: with ALSA 1.0.15 the same problem
>> >  exists. BTW also with arecord, it does not depend on skype.
>>
>>  Try recording to a file using say arecord, and then look at the file with
>>  for example audacity and look at the "click". Is it a dropout (ie a brief
>>  zero in the recording) a loss of data or what does it look like.
>>

>> >  Maybe a bug?
>>
>>  Have you made sure that competition like artsd is not running?
>>

>> >  Peter

OK, this is weird. The "click" is smooth, and extends over about 20 time
steps. It also has ringing associated. Are you sure that you are not doing
frequency interpolations? Ie recording the thing at 4KHz and then
extrapolating to 44100? Ie, this waveform looks very processed.
It is really hard to imagine that alsa could have produced it due to some
bug.