Re: ALSA and NI Audio Kontrol 1

At Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:07:25 -0500,
Eron Lloyd wrote:

> On Monday 05 November 2007 07:18:58 am Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Sat, 3 Nov 2007 14:25:59 -0400,
> >
> > Eron Lloyd wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to get my Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 external USB
> > > sound card to work with OpenSUSE 10.3, but I cannot find the drivers for
> > > it, specifically the snd_usb_caiaq module. It doesn't show up in YaST,
> > > but I remember reading that this version of ALSA includes those drivers.
> > > Is there any reason OpenSUSE wouldn't include them? Could I manually link
> > > this driver from the source?
> >
> > At the time openSUSE 10.3 codebase was frozen, there was no driver yet
> > in the upstream.
> >
> > You can try the alsa-driver-kmp package on openSUSE BS
> > multimedia:audio repository, which is built from the latest ALSA
> > drivers (as of daily snapshot):
> > 	http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/audio/
> >

> > Takashi
>
> Hmm, still no go. Fearing I gummed up the configuration, I reinstalled
> OpenSUSE 10.3 and then upgraded ALSA from the repository, like you said. YaST
> still won't see my card or the snd_usb_caiaq driver,

Because it isn't in the database of YaST sound module.  But, for
hotplug devices, basically you don't need to setup via yast at all.

> either, but in dmesg it
> seems the system is picking both of them up somehow:
>
> input: Audio Kontrol 1 as /class/input/input5
> usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-caiaq

Then you must have a new ALSA device instance now.  Check
/proc/asound/cards.

> alsaconf won't see it either, which is surprising. Could this be a bug?

No, alsaconf isn't for USB but for ISA or PCI.  And, for recent
systems, alsaconf isn't needed, too (except for ISA non-PnP or so) as
the drivers are loaded automatically via udev.

Takashi