passthrough no longer works after upgrade

Has anything recently changed, that would affect digital pass through?
I brought my Fedora 6 system up to date, unfortunately,
I am unsure what the previous version was. I had digital pass through
working flawlessly.  After updating,  now, nothing is
passed through to my receiver. Typically, the receiver will display the
audio type that is passed through but nothing is displayed now leading
me to believe nothing is being passed through. Nothing appears to work,
mplayer, mythtv do not complain from the console it appears all is
working well. I wonder if this is a configuration issue? Like I have to
mute another option that is interfering.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I made sure the following is unmuted:
amixer set 'IEC958 Optical Raw',0 unmute

Current version:
alsa-driver-1.0.15-62.fc6
alsa-lib-1.0.14-0.1.rc1.fc6
alsa-utils-1.0.14-0.2.rc1.fc6
alsa-kmdl-2.6.22.9-61.fc6-1.0.15-62.fc6

modprobe.conf:
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-emu10k1 index=0

I have the following hardware,
card 0: Live [SB Live 5.1], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC Capture/Standard PCM
Playback]
card 0: Live [SB Live 5.1], device 2: emu10k1 efx [Multichannel
Capture/PT Playback]
card 0: Live [SB Live 5.1], device 3: emu10k1 [Multichannel Playback]

When I run mplayer  with `mplayer -ao alsa:device=Live.2 ` or `mplayer
-ao alsa:device=0.2 ` for example
i see the following output:

alsa-init: requested format: 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 9
alsa-init: using ALSA 1.0.14rc1
alsa-init: setup for 1/2 channel(s)
alsa-init: using device hw:Live,2
alsa-init: pcm opened in blocking mode
alsa-init: chunksize set to 1024
alsa-init: fragcount=16
alsa-init: got buffersize=65536
alsa-init: got period size 1024
alsa: 48000 Hz/2 channels/4 bpf/65536 bytes buffer/Signed 16 bit Little
Endian
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
AO: Description: ALSA-0.9.x-1.x audio
output