ALSA 1.0.15 now in Debian unstable

Someone recently talked about compiling ALSA 1.0.15 under various
distributions but not Debian.

I've recently being compiling kernels on Debian using make-kpkg, which
provides a version.h file in the /usr/src/linux tree which the
alsa-driver needs. However compiling and making a .deb directly from the
alsa-driver sources on www.alsa-project.org failed as a file in
alsa-driver would overwrite a file in libc-dev.

In the last 24 hours packages alsa-source and alsa-base version 1.0.15
have entered Debian unstable (sid). When alsa-source is installed, file
/usr/share/doc/alsa-source/README.Debian provides compilation instructions.

In my case, with the files from a kernel compilation in /usr/src/linux,
I did:

cd /usr/src
bzip2 -dc alsa-source.tar.bz2|tar -xvf /dev/fd/0
dpkg-reconfigure alsa-driver
cd /usr/src/linux
make-kpkg modules-image
cd ..
dpkg -i alsa-modules-2.6.23*.deb
alsaconf

which unpacked, configured, compiled, installed and started ALSA 1.0.15
on Debian unstable.