Re: Addressing ALSA's Configuration Complexity

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, T.P. Reitzel wrote:

> How long has ALSA been in existence now? The documentation for ALSA is
> still incomplete and excessively complex for the average user trying to
> adapt it to his needs. Here's a rather common scenario. A user just
> purchases a new computer. For the sake of argument, the driver for the
> audio chipset on his computer is immature so the user sticks an older
> audio card into his computer. ALSA sees the on-board chipset as card0
> and the PCI card as card1. Now, how does this chap configure ALSA to
> FULLY utilize the myriad number of applications using either ALSA or
> OSS? Common scenarios have some users searching for YEARS to find the
> proper solution to their problems of configuring ALSA. Say, this chap
> downloads the speech recognition program, Julius/Julian (OSS only), and
> wants to input audio from a microphone attached to card0.  How does he
> do it? Next, say this chap has VMware and needs to ouput audio (OSS
> again) on card1 instead of the default card, 0. How does he do it?
> Moving alone, now this chap wants to play a DVD in 5.1 surround sound on
> card1 due to the immaturity of ALSA's driver for card0. How does he do
> it? Now, the chap is listening to CD audio and wants to route the
> playback to all 5 speakers instead of the two in front? How does he do
> it? Generally, this chap wants to playback audio on card1 and record on
> card0, and do it all in this lifetime. If the sarcasm is showing a bit
> strongly, maybe ALSA's developers at SUSE should strongly consider that
> this chap isn't an engineer. The aforementioned scenario is COMMON, and
> I see nothing to address this scenario on the WIKI pages or ALSA's
> website. Serious consideration of these issues need to addressed at SUSE
> immediately as this time consuming process of configuring ALSA has gone
> on far too long already.  Yes, let the flames begin, but buckets of
> water have already been thrown by myself and numerous other users to
> more than quench the fire of emotion.  Personally, I like ALSA, but
> hiding its complexity for the average user should be a priority. The
> time for talk is over and has been so for a long time.

The system configuration complexity should be handled inside distribution,
not subsystem itself (we have already clear soundcard/device naming, but
it's true that users must learn about it). So ask distributions to add
such possibility to their device manager / configuration utilities (like
yast for SUSE).

Also, we added recently a function to alsa library to obtain a list of
device names. So ask application developers to integrate this function to
their application, so users can easy choose the right playback / record
device.

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxxx>