Can't get any output from my java program

I decided to use this list because I'm not programming anything
related to alsa per-se... but you will tell me if it's better to write
to the devel list.

I'm creating a java program that (at this stage) outputs a sine wave
to my speakers.

I can get the "line" (Java Sound API) and send it the buffer of
information (one second) that I want to listen... however I'm not able
to listen to a single beep from the speakers.

I made another class that outputs to standard output and sent it to
aplay... and it works flawlessly. I can hear the sine wave.

So... maybe the problem is the configuration I have for one volume of
my card? I don't know, really.

Here's the info from /proc/alsa/cards:
 0 [ICH5           ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH5
                      Intel ICH5 with ALC202 at irq 16

from /proc/alsa/devices:
  2:        : timer
  3:        : sequencer
  4: [ 0- 4]: digital audio playback
  5: [ 0- 3]: digital audio capture
  6: [ 0- 2]: digital audio capture
  7: [ 0- 1]: digital audio capture
  8: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
  9: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
 10: [ 0]   : control

This is the "mixer" java is using:
ICH5 [plughw:0,4]: Direct Audio Device: Intel ICH5, Intel ICH -
IEC958, Intel ICH5 - IEC958

I have already check with alsamixer and I have two devices that name "IEC958":
IEC958: it's not muted, but it has no knob.
IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA: It has a know (I have it at 100% or 66%)
abut has no "mute button".

Anything I might be skipping?