Intel Mac mini optical out problem

Hi there,

I'm giving up for now, hopefully somebody here can help me.

I have an Intel Mac mini (module snd-hda-intel), here's the begining of the
/proc/asound/Intel/codec#0 file:
Codec: SigmaTel STAC9221 A1
Address: 0
Vendor Id: 0x83847680
Subsystem Id: 0x106b0800
Revision Id: 0x103401

I want to use the optical out to have all the sound sent to my external
amplifier.

When i use this command it works, i have dolby digital sound on my amp:
"mplayer -vo null -ac hwac3 -ao alsa:device=plughw=0.1
/mnt/share/divx/films/babel/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_3.VOB"

when i use this command, there's no sound at all:
"mplayer -vo null -ao alsa:device=plughw=0.1
/mnt/share/divx/films/babel/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_3.VOB"

So AC3 pass through works, normal sound doesn't. Same thing with Xine.

The first mplayer command tells us that the physical link is there, the
mixer level is good, i'm using the good alsa device (hw 0,1) and the
module is well configured (i guess), so the obvious errors are out.

Another thing, it worked for a while and then stopped after (i'm not
so sure what triggered it) a system update (i'm using debian and
did "apt-get dist-upgrade").

Any ideas?

Alec