Re: How to install alsa driver?

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Nigel Henry wrote:

> I've never had to install a newer alsa driver before, as my audigy2
> soundblaster (emu10k1), and Ensoniq (ens1371) have had no problems.
>
> I'm getting a new mobo, and may have problems depending on the onboard card.
> ( it may be an hda intel one).
>
> Bill Unruh on the US-122 distortion thread, makes the driver install seem
> simple, but looking at the install instructions in the the unpacked tarball,
> it seems more complex than that.

Download the alsa-drivers-1.15.rcx drivers. Untar them.
Install the kernel source for the kernel you are running.
Type
config
Type
make

Unload all of your snd modules. (use rmmod or modprobe -r)
type
make install
depmod -a
use modprobe to reinstall your driver.

Test.

Now, if you only want to change one specific driver you can during
configure tell it to just compile that driver.

It may also be useful to recompile the new alsa-libs and other alsa
packages to make sure everything is compatible.