Re: Default output to two different cards

On Saturday 15 September 2007, Kevin Stadler wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I've got an Audigy Player (emu10k1) and my mainboard (ASUS M2NPV-VM) has
>onboard sound (via82xx). The Audigy is connected to a 5.1 system,
>upmixing of stereo signals to 5.1 worked without any configuration at
>all, I only added the following 3 lines to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base (I
>run Ubuntu) to avoid random index assignment:
You probably also need at least
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
>options snd-emu10k1 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-via82xx
>options snd-via82xx index=1
>options snd-mpu401 index=2
>
>Sometimes I want to use headphones instead of the 5.1 system, but
>without having to unplug the front-channel-output of the Audigy. That's
>why I want the audio output to always go to the Audigy and the onboard
>sound card as well (obviously no need for synchronization here).
>So I created .asoundrc in my home directory and figured out it should
>look something like this:
>
># Create a 8-channel multi device, the first 6 channels map to the
>Audigy, the other 2 to the onboard sound
>pcm.multi {
>     type multi;
>     slaves.a.pcm "hw:0,0";
>     slaves.a.channels 6;
>     slaves.b.pcm "hw:1,0";
>     slaves.b.channels 2;
>     bindings.0.slave a;
>     bindings.0.channel 0;
>     bindings.1.slave a;
>     bindings.1.channel 1;
>     bindings.2.slave a;
>     bindings.2.channel 2;
>     bindings.3.slave a;
>     bindings.3.channel 3;
>     bindings.4.slave a;
>     bindings.4.channel 4;
>     bindings.5.slave a;
>     bindings.5.channel 5;
>     bindings.6.slave b;
>     bindings.6.channel 0;
>     bindings.7.slave b;
>     bindings.7.channel 1;
>}
>
># Create a 6-channel routing device: The 6 channels map directly to the
>Audigy, the first to channels are also sent to the onboard card
>pcm.ttable {
>     type route;
>     slave.pcm "multi";
>
>     ttable.0.0 1
>     ttable.1.1 1
>     ttable.2.2 1
>     ttable.3.3 1
>     ttable.4.4 1
>     ttable.5.5 1
>     ttable.0.6 1
>     ttable.1.7 1
>}
>
>The only application I've got which shows me the virtual devices is
>Skype, however if I select the ttable-Device and play a test sound, it
>only plays on the speakers connected to the Audigy. Any ideas about
>what's wrong with the configuration? Do I need a ctl-Device for the
>multi/ttable to make it work?
>
>My second question is how I can manage to let the ttable-device appear
>to be a real soundcard and make it the default card (index 0) for all
>applications using ALSA, somehow I couldn't find any instructions for this..
>
>Thanks in advance for any help!
>Best regards
>Kevin
>
>PS: Another thing that's troubling me: Sometimes when I boot, the Audigy
>doesn't show up in /proc/asound/cards at all, and the system log says:
>"EMU10K1_Audigy: probe of 0000:02:0a.0 failed with error -12". Is this
>just a problem with cards fighting over index numbers or a bug? (See
> [...]

I had the same problem, and finally discovered that the retaining screw was
pulling the far and of the card partially out of the socket.  I finally
loosened the screw through the pcb, but found it such a precise fit in the
hole that I had to bend the bracket with a smallish pair of vice-grips in
order to move the retainer tab to the rear about 30 thousandths of an inch
allowing a much better alignment that did not jack the far end of the card
back out of the slot when the screw was installed.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
To find a friend one must close one eye; to keep him -- two.
		-- Norman Douglas