Laptop - intel 82801H - no sound

Greetings,

I just bought a laptop and have been unable to get sound working.

This is a HP Laptop dv9543cl

Vendor:  Intel Corp
Model:   82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio controller
Module:  snd-hda-intel

PCM Device: ALC268 Analog

Driver 1.0.14
alsa-lib-1.0.14-3.fc7
alsa-utils-1.0.14-1.fc7

There is an interesting LED for the Speaker.  When using Windows
if you touch the LED it will change from blue to red.  This will
mute the speakers. Touch it again an it will turn blue and the
speakers are unmuted. Also in the Windows mixer click mute will
turn the LED red.  In Fedora 7 when the boot starts the LED is
blue and right after UDEV it turns red.  Touching the LED in
Linux has no effect. The mixer shows the speaker is unmuted
and clicking mute has no effect.

I have tried the Fedora 8 test 1 Live CD and still no sound.

I have also tried the following procedure, still no sound.
1. yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
 2. yum install mercurial
 3. cd /usr/src
 4. mkdir alsa && cd alsa
 5. hg clone http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-driver alsa-driver
 6. cd alsa-driver
 7. hg clone http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel alsa-kernel
 8. ./hgcompile && make install - Failed here for lack of kernel
source?. Side trip to install source or whatever kernel-devel is.
 At this point I needed to add the following step.
 yum install kernel-devel (rerun step 8 after kernel-devel is installed)
 9. echo options snd-hda-intel model=3stack > /etc/modprobe.d/sound
 10. modprobe snd-hda-intel
 11. system-config-soundcard - This failed
 12. reboot Sound works!

Does anyone have any suggestions to get my sound working?

Regards,
Dan