dmix problems with surround devices

Hi.

I'm succesfully using a TerraTec Aureon 7.1 Universe but there are still
some problems especially when playin multiple sounds together.
I'm using Debian sid under GNOME (thus esd is mostly running and
blocking (???) the alsa devices. I have connected a 7.1 speaker system.

It seems that esd uses the default device which plays stereo sound to
the two front speakers.
As long as I use the default device dmixing seems to work (without any
modifications to the alsa config files). But as soon as I'm trying to
use a "better" device like sorround71 or surround51 or duplicate (se
below my .asoundrc) it doesn't work.

When I disable esd (esdctl off) I can use the the above devices, but
still dmixing doesn't work, e.g. if I try to play more files via aplay
-D duplicate foo.wav only the first call works.

I've read in the alsa wiki that nowadays dmixing should work per default
(so should this work per default with surround and so too?) so perhaps
this is a bug, if not I'm sorry for wasting your time :/ ... anyway it
would be great if you could help me.

Best wishes,
Chris.

my ~/.asoundrc:
pcm.duplicate {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "surround71"
    slave.channels 8
    route_policy duplicate
}

my /etc/esound/esd.conf:
[esd]
auto_spawn=0
spawn_options=-terminate -nobeeps -as 5
spawn_wait_ms=100
# default options are used in spawned and non-spawned mode
default_options=