Serial Midi via snd-serial-u16550 not working

hi,

my friend has some problem to get snd-serial working, so i posting his
message to this list:

===============================
First of all hi everybody. This is my very first post in this forum.

I'm totally new in producing music under linux but after I have
configured programs like Ardour, Rosegarden (in sync via Jack audio
connection kit) and some other programs I want to chance from Windows
(Nuendo/Cubase/Reason) to Linux because the programs were running
excellent and have a big potential because of the function to rewire all
the devices by using JACK.
But befor telling you long stories now to my real problem: Since a few
days I try to get my Technics keyboard SX-KN5000 working by using midi
via the serial port. I want to do this because first I have no midi port
slot for my onboard soundcard of my A8N-SLI Premium motherboard and
second the serial port has a much faster speed and so latencies were
near zero even in big midi-projects. A I've read MANY tutorials the last
days and searched in many different forums to get this problem solved.

After I had first used the 'UART16550 serial MIDI driver' as built-in
kernel module but the midi device did not appear in the list of my devices
Code:
# aconnect -o
client 20: 'MPU-401 UART' [type=kernel]
    0 'MPU-401 UART MIDI'

and in many how-tos I've read about using this driver as a loadable
module I've changed this. OK, now I'm at the point where I don't know
how to go on. I have read tutorials like this ones

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Serial#Simple_serial_converter
http://www.geocities.jp/midi_organ_net/alsa/
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-27919.html?sid=7abc10e4e733063cdc749811f114382c

but no one doesn't really help me. My serial port is com1 (/dev/ttyS0).
Almost all discussions about configuring this driver include that you
first have to make sure, that the serial port isn't in use. So I do a

Code:
# setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none

setserial without the other parameters says
Code:
# setserial /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

So I know that my port is 0x03f8 and the irq is 4. Now I do a modprobe
to load the driver but I only get an error:
Code:
# modprobe -v snd-serial-u16550 port=0x3F8 irq=4
install { /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none; } ; /sbin/modprobe
--first-time --ignore-install snd-serial-u16550
insmod
/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r2/kernel/sound/drivers/snd-serial-u16550.ko
snd_port=0x3f8 snd_irq=4 snd_speed=38400
FATAL: Error inserting snd_serial_u16550
(/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r2/kernel/sound/drivers/snd-serial-u16550.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error running install command for snd_serial_u16550

In my /var/log/messages it says
Code:
snd_serial_u16550: Unknown parameter `snd_port'

I don't understand this. I haven't specified any snd_port in the
modprobe command. I first thought, that I have to, but running modprobe
with snd_port (and e.g. snd_irq) doesn't help. Even if I call it without
any parameters the same error message appears. Maybe someone has the
same error as I or knows any help. Maybe it's just a config error
somewhere. At the beginning I experimented with configuring some
configfiles which you see below. But I don't know if they will be ever
used by my sound system. (Should I mention that all other sound drivers
are all built-in kernel modules)

/etc/modules.d/alsa
Code:
# Alsa kernel modules' configuration file.

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

##
## IMPORTANT:
## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
## and then run `update-modules' command.
## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
##
##  ALSA portion
## alias snd-card-0 snd-interwave
## alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
##  OSS/Free portion
## alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
## alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
##
pre-install snd-serial-u16550 /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
alias snd-card-1 snd-serial-u16550
options snd-serial-u16550 port=0x3f8 irq=4 speed=38400

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
##  OSS/Free portion - card #2 serial midi
alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=2

/etc/modprobe.d/sound
Code:
options snd-serial-u16550 port=0x3f8 irq=4

The rest of my soundsystem works fine. I would be thankful for any help
I could get. Is something missing? Please tell me. Here the last thing
which could be helpful:

Code:
# uname -a
Linux marcus 2.6.22-gentoo-r2 #1 SMP Thu Aug 30 18:37:44 CEST 2007 i686
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Thanks
Marcus

any suggestion? His distribution is Gentoo.

cu denny

--
Stoppt den Überwachungswahn - Stoppt den Schäuble Katalog:
http://www.nopsis.de