Re: alsa buffer size

paul blakeley wrote:
> I am writing an application that is generic enough to a number of
> different drivers.  If thats possible!  I am trying to achieve a 2
> second of buffer for a number of different sample rates.  This means
> that for a sample rate of 44.1KHz I require a buffer size of 88.2K
> frames!!!!  For all the different types of sound cards that I have
> used I havent seen a buffer size > 16K frames : (
>
> I have noticed that various drivers have certain behaviour which makes
> writing a application that is generic for all drivers very difficult.
> For example for an intel chipset I have found that the driver was very
> versatile and allowed me to choose various period sizes for different
> buffer sizes.  Whilst the driver for the CS4299 chipset, although
> allows a buffer size of upto 16K the period size has to be half that
> value.

The CS4299 is just an AC'97 codec; the buffer constraints depend on
the controller and/or the controller driver.

> Therefore this makes it impossible for me to use with the ALSA
> callback mechanism, which I need to use for the design to work!

ALSA cannot guarantee that any specific buffer/period size combination
is available on all sound cards.  Your program must be able to work with
any value.

There are several sound cards that require exactly two periods per
buffer.  Why does your design need more?

> By the way how do I find out which driver is assigned to a chipset?

/proc/asound/modules

> Can a driver be used on multiple chipsets?

Yes, there are driver that can control several similar chipsets.

Regards,
Clemens