Re: can't get sound on gateway mx8711 laptop with intel 82801G

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Joris Huizer wrote:

> --- "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> >   i've been fighting for the last few hours, and
> > exchanging some
> > posts on the fedora test mailing list, trying to get
> > functioning sound
> > on my gateway laptop.  i'm an alsa newbie, so please
> > take that into
> > account.
> >
> >   yesterday, i installed f8-t1 on this gateway
> > mx8711 and, during the
> > install, the sound test worked fine.  since then,
> > nothing.
>
> Assuming the problem is "just" no sound output - you must unmute the
> sound card, as the default settings are to have it completely mute.
> You can change those settings by running 'alsamixer' on the command
> line and changing them. Use 'm' to mute/unmute and 'up'/'down' keys
> to increase/decrease sound volume.
>
> It's worth checking at least

actually, i messed with alsaunmute earlier and finally got sound when
i'm running the cd player, but still nothing when i'm playing embedded
youtube videos.  so i'm guessing this is something other than a simple
sound configuration.  is there some reason playing cds would work, and
youtube videos wouldn't?

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA