Invalid CTL

When I try 'amixer contents' (with sound modules loaded) I get error
message
ALSA lib control.c:909 Invalid CTL default control default open error

Can anybody tell me what this means and how I can track down the
problem? I've had a look in /proc/asound and everything looks
plausible. Furthermore, I've got a bunch of major 116 control names
in /dev/snd

I get similar messages when trying 'aplay -l', but both say 'no sound
card' when I unload the drivers.

I've had a look at line 909 in alsa-lib/src/control/control.c and sure
enough, that is where an error is detected, but I'm struggling to
trace it back further.

Note that I'm running on a minimal embedded system and so am not
running alsactl or aconnect