Re: ]Alsa-user] Sound card doesn't work (fwd)

J M Needham wrote:
> I already posted on LAU, and they sent me here. The below illustrates the
> problem. I'm new to this list, so I would appreciate any help and I
> apologise in advance for any breaches of etiquette.
>
> Hi, anyone,
>
> Sorry if this is annoying, I just don't get what to do.
> $ cat /dev/random > /dev/dsp
> does nothing.
> killall artsd
>
> followed by  $play file.wav yields output where play seems to eb playing
> the file, but nothing is coming out. The file seems to "play" but once it
> gets to 190 kB, it stops without error message. The file itself is many
> meg long and plays fine on other systems.
>
> Relevant output from lspci yielded
> 00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)
> 00:08.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy Game Port (rev
> 03)
> 00:08.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port
>

> I'm running Kubuntu Feisty. Now, the soundcard still works on my other
> partition which is Dapper; on Feisty we have
>
> 0 [Audigy         ]: Audigy - Audigy 1 [SB0090]
>                      Audigy 1 [SB0090] (rev.3, serial:0x531102) at 0xcc00,
> irq 11
>
> which is identical to dapper. I know I've posted beforut this but I've no
> idea what exactly is wrong. Apps say sound is going to the soundcard, but
> nothign comes out. If no-one replies, I'll leave it. I won't post again on
> this topic.

Please post the following:

cat /proc/asound/version
cat /proc/asound/cards

try:
speaker-test -c2 -Dfront -twav

While that is playing, run "alsamixer" and adjust the mixer controls.
Specifically, any mixer control that says something like "Master", "PCM"
or "Front".

Does any of that help?

James