Re: [alsa-devel] Website to Wiki migration

On Thursday 09 August 2007 10:54:29 Ash Willis wrote:
> The Wiki's looking great. It's obvious that you've thought about where
> everything should be and how it should all tie in instead of blinding
> porting the old pages. It's looking very fresh and making much more sense.

Thanks for the feedback

> Is it just me though, or is
>
> "Vendor-A-trend    Vendor-ALi    Vendor-AMD"
>
> much harder to read than
>
> "A-trend    ALi    AMD"?
>
> Am I OK to go ahead and remove those prefixes or do we want those kept?
> Same with the modules, although I find the module prefixes much easier
> to deal with visually for some odd reason.

Note that there are cross links between Vendor- and Module- pages.

These prefixes are used to generate the lists of vendors and modules
automatically.  Another way to do this might be to use categories Vendor and
Module.   So far I cant see a way to include category list on another page
see:  http://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix_Talk:Main

Here are the standalone category pages.  These lists would be better without
the prefix...
http://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Category:Module
http://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Category:Vendor

I'd like to hear from the architect of this part of the wiki (Jaroslav) before
embarking on wholesale rename of pages.

> Also, two of the modules that don't have pages were written by myself.
> I'd be glad to make the pages for those modules but I don't really know
> what should go on those pages TBH. IMO, most of the info on the module
> pages is outdated and pointless. At the very least, it's heavily repeated.
> Is this something we should look at? Personally I find that it's letting
> down the rather nice new site.

This page says what should be on a Vendor- and Module- page:
http://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Description

The repeated information is generated using a template. One possibility is to
replace the template contents generic instructions with a link to a single
page with generic instructions.  The template does give the specific module
name in the instructions.

For the module that I work on, I have put specific information at the top of
the page E.g.

http://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-asihpi

I suggest you do something similar E.g.

Driver for cards from [[Matrix:Vendor-]]
{| align="right"
 | __TOC__
 |}
==Driver Specific Information==