Sending data to alsa drivers directly

Can someone explain to me why I cant just send data directory the the
ALSA devices? Are they not character devices?

% sudo cat testpcm1.wav > /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p: Permission denied

Aplay works fine on this file. So what is aplay doing other than just
sending the file data to the device?

Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm new to this and there is not a lot
of intro documentation. I've seen that with simple char devices you can
just read and write directly to the driver... So I'm trying to
understand why this does not work with ALSA drivers.

-Brooke