Re: alsa diagnostic

"aplay --help" does tell that it can support many sound file formats... and
namely in this huge list, MPEG.
after this, however, it says that some of these formats may not be available
for my hardware.

imagine some SB cards have included support for mp3, then I guess aplay can
play MP3 on these. only on these.
I am relly not sure, but if the user I m trying to help can hear sound, I am
sure it can hear sound and that the mp3 has been decoded with a correct
algorithm.

I will follow your advice with the noapci paramet for kernel. that's a
possibility.
however if the problem was IRQ related, how can I detect this with classical
linux commands ?

exactly