alsa diagnostic

hello everybody,
I want to have some logs about a command "aplay something" not performing
well.

I am currently trying to help someone on a Debian forum, about sound issues,
probably alsa related.
I still wait from some answers from this user, but I already have some
questions for you @ alsa.

The card in use is using snd_emu10k1, and I asked the user to perform this
command:
#aplay -D hw:0,0 the_user_soundfile.mp3
the user tells me that the sound is not playing well : the first two seconds
of the file are looped with glitches... exactly the way like the trouble
trying to be resolved with the user's xmms and rhtymbox.

do you know about alsa system logs or alsa commands or tools, that will help
me focuss on the trouble : why aplay is not performing really well ? what is
going wrong with aplay ?

i still wait for the user's answer to
#cat /proc/asound/cards
#aplay -l.
but if ever these two commands reports no troubles about the
alsa-configuration... i don't have a clue to investigate further.

any help appreciated.

sincerely

Blue I.