VT1617a on a Jetway J7F2 looses audio after volume goes over about 75% on PCM

Greetings!

Having problems with alsa 1.0.14 and RC4 on ubuntu (and with original version of ALSA thats on the distro) using via82xx module, audio works OK until you move the volume up high when you get a pop and it dissapears, no more audio anymore... :(,  I wonder if its a problem on motherboard (there is a low volume problem on this board that needs a patch by adding some resistors) like capacitor failure (which I read as a possibility somewhere) or if its  common to all 1617a chips or if its an alsa bug?

The driver works on windows, but they (jetway) write the driver, so I wonder if they just limited the maximum volume value to the chip in the driver to a low enough value to avoid the possible mobo design problem surfacing and then scale that to the usual windows volume fader in the driver...??

any help appreciated, I could probably patch the code to a new max PCM volume level in the drivers if thats simple and someone can show me where it is in the code...

unless it is a known alsa problem of course?

Thanks!