Still having dmix problem with usb-audio external speakers

I know at one point during testing I was able to have 2 simultaneous
.wav files play back through external USB speakers, but for whatever
reason dmix appears to just not be happening when I use audio/video apps
like xmms, amarok, vlc, or mplayer.  Always the second app will complain
that it cannot access the sound device.

This is the aplay -l listing on the machine:

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: System [USB Audio System], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

This is my ~/.asoundrc.   I commented out pcm.internal since my
understanding was that dmix is supposed to already be enabled by default, and I
was getting an error about dmix not supporting input when trying to use
the internal card with skype:

# pcm.internal {
#         type dmix
#         ipc_key 1234