Re: per host .asoundrc on shared $HOME

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 12:58 -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:

> So have .asoundrc as a link to say /etc/asoundrc, a common machine
> resource.
> ln -sf /etc/asoundrc .asoundrc
> will read a different version of asoundrc depending on the machine. Of
> course this implies that you want a common asoundrc, which might be bad on
> 10000 user system but is probbly pretty good on a single user system.

Exactly.  One solution, although it's totally hacky is to have the login
shell (or process, such as gdm in the case of a desktop login) create
the .asoundrc in a non-shared dir like /tmp (say, .asoundrc-brian) on
all machines and symlink ~/.asoundrc to the /tmp/.asoundrc-brian.

But as I say this is a hack and something that I think libasound should
handle more gracefully.

It's interesting to note at this point that DG/UX had an interesting
libc implementation where in portions of the filesystem namespace you
could put env. vars in a pathname:  PATH=...:/usr/lib/$ARCH/bin/cc:...
so that your $PATH would resolve to a different location in the the
filesystem of the machine you were on based on $ARCH in your
environment.  I don't think that was limited to $ARCH.  I think any env.
var worked.

b.

Brian J. Murrell