Re: Surround sound problem with CS46xx

Thanks for the reply.

Well I tried your version of .asoundrc file but this gives me no surround sound. The aplay -lLv gives among other a card.pcm.surround51 output. I think that by using slave.pcm "surround51" we use a strandart implementations of surround sound in the cs46xx file in alsa settings. Which seems to have problems. Maybe I should find a way to patch/alter this default file? Any other ideas?

2007/6/5, stan <stanl@xxxxxxx>:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 01:16:55 +0300
Vasilis Manwlopoulos <vmanolop@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> I have a Hercules Fortissimo III soundcard which refers to the cs46xx
> chip as far as I know in ALSA modules. I have created a .asoundrc with
> the following:
>
> pcm.!default {
>    type plug
>    slave.pcm "surround51"
>    slave.channels 6
>    route_policy duplicate
> }
>

> in order to enable surround. The ALSA version that I use is the
> default of the Ubuntu 7.04, that is 1.0.13ubuntu5. The problem is
> that although I have 5.1 surround sound there are also many
> cracklings/stoppings of sound. That's playing music with various
> players (totem,videolan,rhythmbox). Furthermore, chaking at the
> system monitor I can see several cpu load spikes at 100% while just
> playing music !!!. Has anyone faced such a cpu load with this sound
> setup? Also, I must mention that when I erase the .asoundrc and
> therefore enable only sound at the front speakers there aren't any
> problems neither cpu spikes. Can anyone plz suggest a workaround
> about this?
>

> PS. I you need something else (command,conf output etc)in order to
> help please tell me so.
>

> Regards
> Vasilis Manolopoulos

It looks like you have already seen this, but in case you haven't, this
link describes doing exactly what you are doing.

http://alsa.opensrc.org/FAQ028

However, the link is fairly old (2004).  I think alsa predefines this
for most cards now.  Type aplay -lLv and check for surround51 in the
output.  If it is there, you should just have to go into your sound
application and select it as the device.

My explanation for the bad sound is that I think you are remixing
already mixed sound streams, also explaining the heavy CPU usage.

Try
pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm "surround51"
}

This advice might be worth what you paid for it.  :-)