Re: Some noisy / buggy issues with USB audio on a TS7200 SBC ...

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 19:56:15 -0400
David Topper <topper@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here's another odd message ...
>
> root@ts7000:root# aplay tibetan.snd
> Playing Sparc Audio 'tibetan.snd' : Signed 16 bit Big Endian, Rate
> 44100 Hz, Mon
> underrun!!! (at least 0.000 ms long)
> aplay: xrun:1006: read/write error, state = PREPARED
>
> DT
>

> David Topper wrote:
> > Well, it looks like I've managed to get alsa to cross compile
> > properly for my ARM based TS7200 board.  I can play audio, but it's
> > somewhat erratic.  The "aplay" command generates some random errors:
> >
> > aplay: pcm_write:1088: write error: Input/output error
> > root@ts7000:root# aplay -c 1 -t raw -r 44100 -f S16_BE tibetan.snd
> > Playing Sparc Audio 'tibetan.snd' : Signed 16 bit Big Endian, Rate
> > 44100 Hz, Mono
> > underrun!!! (at least 0.000 ms long)
> > underrun!!! (at least 0.000 ms long)
> > underrun!!! (at least 0.000 ms long)
> >
> > aplay: pcm_write:1088: write error: File descriptor in bad state
> > root@ts7000:root# aplay -c 1 -t raw -r 44100 -f S16_BE tibetan.snd
> > Playing Sparc Audio 'tibetan.snd' : Signed 16 bit Big Endian, Rate
> > 44100 Hz, Mono
> > aplay: pcm_write:1088: write error: Input/output error
> >

> > Basically, aplay only plays a seemingly random amount of the file
> > (which is about 3 sec long).
> >
> > Is there a way to change the default buffer size for this device?
> > Any other possible optimizations?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > DT

Good job you got it going.  When I get those messages on my system, it
means I am not keeping up with the sound play.  A larger buffer is
probably not going to help here, unless your buffer is extremely
small.  The only thing you save is a little overhead/task switching
time.  If you are reading this file from disk, that could be the
problem if the access times are too slow. How is memory? Would there
have to be any paging/swapping?  My thought is there is some time
consuming interaction occurring, time consuming in the context of
playing music that is.

Hope that helps.