Re: tracks "slow-w-w-w-w-wed down"

On Sat, 26 May 2007 10:34:57 -0500
Brian Hagen <byronkeys@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am basically familiar with Audacity more than any other app. I want
> to be able
> to slow down playback of an audio track without altering the pitch.
> So far, I
> have used the "sox" utility with its "stretch effect" as an option.
> This yields
> "kinda-sorta  the intended result", however the playback of the
> output file contains
> a rather irritating ring-modulation-like effect. I take it that such
> is an inherent result of
> the function's process although I am not enough of a physics expert
> to know for certain.
>
>     Is there a means to achieve this slowdown without the distortion?
> I have in mind a means to make it easier to transcribe recordings of
> players who are
> doing "really-fast" playing, e.g. rock-guitar solos and so forth.
>
> Brian Hagen

In the effect menu, select change tempo.  The change speed does what
you describe above, changes pitch as well as speed.  The change tempo
only changes the speed without affecting pitch.  Large changes, of
course, alter the character of the music as it is performing shrinkage
or stretching on notes.