recording with tee

I'd like to record the output of an alsa application by creating a
virtual device in ~/.asoundrc.

Say I'm playing a movie in mplayer and outputting the audio to
alsa. I'd then want to be able to record all of that audio to a
separate file.

Hours of googling put me on the trail of the tee plugin but just can't
make it work. Could someone please provide me with an example
configuration to get me started?

I know that there are other ways of recording the output of
applications. (I've documented one here:
http://pipedreams.polite.se/20/totalrecorder-on-steroids/) but I want
to try this way to.

TIA alex