usb-audio: serious MIDI problems with ESI M4U interface

Hello,

I have two ESI M4U MIDI interfaces, both have the same problems:
it seems that the interface drops MIDI events, especially when
many events are sent (ie. play a MIDI file). When the MIDI
bandwidth increases, more events seem to drop, but I haven't observed
that experimentally yet.

I don't have these problems when I use the MIDI interface present
on internal sound cards (ie. snd-ens1371 and emu10k1).

I have this problem with a vanilla kernel 2.6.20 on Slack 11, with
the alsa version shipped with that kernel. My Ubuntu 7.04 machine has
the same problem, and my 2.4 kernel workstation with alsa 1.0.12
drivers also. there is no improvement when I manually upgrade the
Ubuntu 7.04 system to alsa-drivers-1.0.14rc3, so my problem seems
not to have any fix in officially released alsa versions, unless I
overlook something obvious?

I first experienced these problems when I tried to run Monkey
Island games in dosbox with an external Roland MT-32 module in
combination with an ESI M4U. Some notes stayed on, and the music
doesn't sound right. When I used the MIDI output of the ens1371,
everything worked perfectly.

My questions are:

- Is this a bug that should be reported somewhere else?

- Can anyone help me with this problem?

- If not, how can I proceed further, or be of assistance to
  developers that can help me? I have some experience with Linux
  driver programming, but not USB and ALSA. However, I do have some
  experience with programming the ALSA sequencer in userspace.

Thanks in advance for your time and ideas,

Greetings,

Raymond Dresens.