chaintech AV710 on FC6 using spdif output for analog stereo, recording with audacity

Hi,

This isn't a problem.  I just configured the Chaintech AV710 card to
work on FC6 and thought I would post the results so others don't have
to do the research.  Driver is ice1724.

The Wolfson DAC is the black receptacle right next to the SPDIF optical
output, back surr.  That is where to plug the stereo output in.  Put the
mic in the receptacle marked mic, farthest away from the optical
output. :-b

The key to using the Wolfson DAC as an analog stereo output is remapping
the default device from hw:0,0 to hw:0,1.  This is done in the
attached .asoundrc.  Place it in your home directory.

The key to recording is to enable capture in the asound.state file.  I
turned it all the way up to 14 out of 15.  I left mic and mic boost
turned on as well.  Then, in audacity at least, go into preferences
and change the device for output to spdif and the device for capture
to ice1724.  XMMS picked up the change automatically.  The asound.state
file goes in /etc/. You will have to have root access to change it.

The Wolfson DAC doesn't make much difference in the mid ranges,
but when you get to the ends of the audio spectrum it has way less noise
than the VIA.  For some songs, the sound is so different, I wonder if
it isn't making up new music :-).  A lot more detail and clarity.

On my system, when I try to use it at 96 K sample rate, the pitch
changes.  Haven't looked into this as I don't really need 96k sample
rate.  I was able to use the card at up to 192K sample rate by turning
on the 'send alternate level to surround' switch in ALSAMIXER, and using
the Surround receptacle for analog stereo output with hw:0,0.  Alsa
didn't complain and neither did the card.  I wasn't able to verify that
it actually was working at that rate, though, only that alsa thought it
was working at that rate (I queried the interface after configuration).

A big thank you to all the people who posted their experiences all over
the web.  I was able to figure out what to do because of that.