Re: nForce 430 / ASUS M2NPV-VM snd_hda_intel (surround) sound problems

Am Montag 16 April 2007 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> At Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:42:10 +0200,
> > I guess writing 0xb000 is not enough, as the lower 6 bits are gain value.
> > Or does the gain get applied somewhere else?
>
> It corresponds to "Mic Boost" control.

I don't get it. I am referring to:

        { 0x1c, AC_VERB_SET_AMP_GAIN_MUTE, 0xb000},

Looking at the spec, it tells me your are setting output amp, left and right
to unmuted state with 0 gain.

(BTW, what about using more readable values? I thought drivers should be
written with less magic numbers? IE:

#define OUT_AMP (1<<15)
#define LEFT_AMP (1<<13)
#define RIGHT_AMP (1<<12)
#define MUTE_AMP (1<<7)

Then we would have

        { 0x1c, AC_VERB_SET_AMP_GAIN_MUTE, OUT_AMP|LEFT_AMP|RIGHT_AMP},

and

        { 0x1c, AC_VERB_SET_AMP_GAIN_MUTE, OUT_AMP|LEFT_AMP|RIGHT_AMP|
MUTE_AMP},

instead of 0xb080 magic number when muting the plug....)

> > Well, I am not sure how to read the specs:
> >
> > 0x0f Chooses the mic inputs betweeb the MIC_1/2 and C/LFE pins. Contains
> > the mic gain boost amp.
> >
> > 0x10 Chooses the line in inputs between the line in, surround and MIC_1/2
> > pins.
> >
> > I think with those NIDs you actually select between "I want line in" or
> > "I want surround out" and whatever.
>
> It sounds like so although it's just a guess work.
>
> > I remeber having troubles capturing sound via mic in or line in using
> > audacity alsa driver. I only managed it with audacity oss driver (with
> > alsa oss kernel emu). I guess this is related to wrong setting of above
> > NIDs?
>
> Maybe.  The 0x0f and 0x10 are really mysterious setting on AD1986A.

When I find time I'll test the capture again and if it doesn't work, play with
those NIDs.

> Then, we seems to need reset 0x0f and 0x10 at each channel setting.
> Try the patch below.  This will reset 0x0f and 0x10 to 0 when 6ch
> channel mode is chosen.  On 2ch channel mode, these values should be
> back to make mic and line working (and no surround outputs, of
> course).

Patch works for me. Just the "volume is 0 on ch setting change" bug left.

--
//\ Prakash Punnoor /\\