snd_via82xx quality issues

Hello,

I recently started having some sound quality issues (and operability issues)
with the snd_via82xx driver I use with the onboard audio on my MythTV
machine.

Specifically, when people speak 'S' sounds tend be slurred... as though
perhaps some of the audio data were being dropped?  Also, some OSS programs
now refuse to run, specifically those using the PortAudio library for sound
output (namely the kiax and iaxcomm softphone programs).

This problem started a few weeks ago, but I've not had time to try to solve it
until now.  For the life of me I cannot tell what might have changed on the
system to have caused this problem to appear.

There are no error messages in the kernel log.  The ALSA wiki page for this
module (http://alsa.opensrc.org/Via8233) lists a number of fixes to try, but
so far none of them has helped improve my audio quality at all.

I am running Debian/unstable and I'm using the ALSA that ships with kernel
2.6.19.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.