Aplay when running another audio app on an Ensoniq card

I can play more than one audio app at the same time using my Ensoniq card
(ens1371 driver). For example I can start Opera as "aoss opera", and access
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4. This site uses the bbc radioplayer, which uses
realplayer, an OSS app. I hjave no problems with this, and can also play at
the same time a .ogg file on MhWaveedit.

What I am trying to do is to get a desktop launcher for a music app to play
a .wav file, and also start the music app. I have setup a shellscript for
both the .wav file, and the music app, and as long as no other audio app is
running this works ok.

I was using "play" , which uses sox to play the .wav, and as long as no other
audio app is running the .wav plays, and the audio app opens.

If another audio app is running, MhWaveedit, or the Internet radio, when
clicking on the launcher for the audio app that also starts with the .wav,
the .wav ends up in a queue, and nothing happens until I stop the currently
running audio app.

I thought this might have been a problem with "play", so tried "aplay" with
the following.
aplay -D hwplug:0 Jw_120_G_Cuban2.wav

There are the same problems here. With another audio app running the above is
queued, but as soon as I close the currently running audio app the .wav
plays, and the audio app opens.

hwplug is limited to 0 with aplay. I tried hwplug:1, and 2, but they couldn't
be found.

Any suggestions for a workaround with this problem?

This is on the ancient FC2, using kernel.
[djmons@localhost djmons]$ uname -r
2.6.5-1.358
and kernel.
djmons@localhost djmons]$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.4rc2 (Tue Mar 30 08:19:30
2004 UTC).
Compiled on May  8 2004 for kernel 2.6.5-1.358.
[djmons@localhost djmons]$

I know the Alsa version is ancient, but is there anyway to get my desktop
launcher to play a .wav file while another audio app is running?

Nigel.