Re: Can't get spdif working with ALSA and FC6 on ECS L4S5MG/651+ motherboard

Hi,

I sent out the following message with logs attached about a week ago, and I haven't received a reply yet.  I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about where to even start debugging this problem.  I'd really like to get the SPDIF output working on my system.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi,

I have tried just about everything that I can think of in order to get the
SPDIF port on my motherboard to work. I am putting together a MythTV box
and so I would like digital audio with AC3 passthrough to work for surround
sound from DVD's and HDTV content. The spdif output works fine under
Windows (I have a dual boot setup), and so I am highly confident that the
hardware is working. I currently have the spdif output hooked into the
spdif coax input of a Sony Dream System.

The analog sound is working fine under linux, and so I believe that the
sound card is being detected properly. The audio device on my motherboard
is a SiS7012 chipset which is supposed to be supported by the intel8x0 ALSA
driver, and as far as I can tell it is configured correctly in the kernel
and modprobe.conf, but I am not an expert in drivers and kernel level stuff
so I don't know.

The thing that is most puzzling to me is that when I run aslamixer, I don't
see an IEC958 device or a spdif device. This makes me wonder if for some
reason the ALSA driver doesn't recognize the spdif port on the motherboard
(BTW the motherboard just has a spdif header on it and I built a backplate
for the case with a spdif coax plug on it.) When I first loaded Windows it
didn't recognize the spdif port either. I had to get a more up to date
driver from SiS before I could get the spdif port working.

I have included as much information as I can think of below in hopes that
someone here can figure out what I am missing.

Thanks,
Rob