Re: compiling alsa-utils-1.0.14rc2 on suse 10.2 64 bits

-----Original Message-----
From: "Lee Revell" <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Sergei Steshenko" <steshenko_sergei@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 12:16:10 -0500
Subject: Re:  compiling alsa-utils-1.0.14rc2 on suse 10.2 64 bits

> On 3/9/07, Sergei Steshenko <steshenko_sergei@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > are telling us all that 'configure' does not check the prerequisites ?
> >
> > Again and again, the whole idea of
> >
> > ./configure <args>
> > make
> > make install
> >
> > is to make sure that if 'configure' passes, the rest should just work.
> >
> > If the rest does not work, it's a bug in build mechanism - most likely
> > inadequate configure.
>
> I don't know what you expect me to do about it, I didn't write that
> script.  Why don't you submit a patch or something?
>
> Lee

Firstly, if you agree with me, to admit it's a bug.

Secondly, if you can, to fix access to ALSA bug tracking system - I remember
recently another person had a similar problem ('configure' OK -> 'make' fails),
and he could even set up an account with ALSA bug tracking system.

About me submitting a patch - at the moment, for example, I have a number of things
to deal with in the framework of my AppsFromScratch:

1) gcc-4.1.1, gcc-4.1.2 build fail on RHEL4 64 bits (yes, 'configure' is OK,
'make' fails) - gcc-3.4.6 is OK; all of them are on 32 bits SUSE 10.2;

2) (wine-0.9.32 + IEs4linux) do not correctly render RTL languages text on RHEL3
32 bits and RHEL4 64 bits, and they fail differently; on SUSE 10.2 32 bits they work
just fine.

I am swamped by 'configure' OK -> 'make' fails bugs - don't have enough time
to file all the necessary bug reports.

Oh, another thing, 'make check' gaim-2.0.0beta6 fails (still, 'configure' is OK),
and it did not fail for gaim-2.0.0beta5 ...

Regards,
  Sergei.