spdif trouble with snd-hda-intel on MSI K9A mobo

Hello

I'm trying to configure the ALC883 on my MSI K9A mobo to get
dolby digital on the spdif output.

I'm using Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.13.
Compiled on Mar  3 2007 for kernel 2.6.18-4-amd64 (SMP).

To load the driver I use:

  /etc/init.d/alsa unload  # remove all snd modules
  modprobe snd-hda-intel disable_msi=1 model=6stack-dig

When I play a file with 'ac3dec sound_129.ac3' I get sound on the
front speaker (normal) and on the spdif output (??)

$ ac3dec sound_129.ac3
5.1 Mode 48.0 KHz 448 kbps Complete Main Audio Service
Using PCM device 'default'

With alsamixer, if I mute everything but the iec928 switch, I get no
sound on front output but the music still plays on the spdif output.

When I try to play a DD file with 'ac3dec -C sound_129.ac3', I get a
brief screech sound and then nothing (I think that my Yam amp mutes
the sound in case of problems).

$ ac3dec -C sound_129.ac3
Using PCM device 'plug:iec958:{AES0 0x2 AES1 0x82 AES2 0x0 AES3 0x2}'
AC3 Stream 48.0 KHz 448 kbps

When I play the ac3 file for the first after loading the modules,
syslog shows:

  Mar 8 21:41:45 gandalf kernel: hda-intel: Invalid position buffer, using LPIB read method instead.

I've tried the 5stack-digout layout, but it is not recognized by alsa
driver:

   Mar  8 21:43:39 gandalf kernel: hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC883, trying auto-probe from BIOS...

The weird thing is that my mobo has:
- 5 jack
- 2 digital output (one coaxial and one optical which may output the
  same signal).

This layout looks closer to 5stack-digout which is not recognized. And
it does not work with 6stack-dig.

At some point my mobo did work with DD on the spdif, but I'm unable to
find the correct configuration to make it work again.

Can someone shed some light on this topic ?

Thanks