Re: About to give up... Surround Sound Card rec?

Trevor Bradley wrote:
> The onboard snd_hda_intel on my nForce 430 / ASUS M2NPV-VM  is just too
> damned frustrating.  I might have managed to get it working on my HTPC
> backend in stereo as long as I don't look at it funny, but on my front
> end, even with ivtv properly installed, sound isn't consistent, even
> though everything works in Windows.  And 6 channel sound isn't.  No
> matter my settings on alsamixer or kmix, I only ever get sound out of my
> left and right speaker.
>
> At this point, I'm willing to throw money at the problem.  I'm looking
> for a cheap PCI card with 5.1 support, that's drop dead easy to get
> working in Linux.
>
> Drop dead easy being defined as:
>
> A) Turn off machine, insert card, turn on machine
> B) Run aslaconf, set up new card, modprobe driver, unmute mixer
> settings, run alsactl store, set up any required entries in rc.local.
> C) I never have to do step B ever, EVER again.  It just works, on boot,
> 100% of the time.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations for such a card?  I do have 5.1
> speakers, but they're the cheapest Logitech makes, so I'm not looking
> for audiophile quality.  I just want a card with drivers that don't want
> me to tear my hair out.
>
> Thanks for your time.
> <http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3c45D9F1A5.3090700%40gmail.com%3e>

I'd just like to wave the flag here as someone else horribly frustrated
with 5.1 on a snd_hda_intel driven card. Mine's on an Asus A8N-VM CSM
board, but the problems sound the same. If anyone could get it working
then I'm sure quite a few people would be very happy :) I've already
torn out a lot of hair...

Cheers