Re: Back to trying to play a *&%# .wmv, miserable failure

On Monday 19 February 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 03:21:45PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 18 February 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >greetings;
>> >
>> >In trying to get kaffiene to play a .wmv, I ripped out all the livna
>> > stuff today and tried to replace it with stuff from dries or atrpms.
>> >
>> >But no matter how I approach the alsalibs update, it absolutely has
>> > to have an 'em8300', whatever the hell that is because the only way
>> > yumex will show it to me is as a kernel module and I'm NOT running a
>> > kernel it will load into.
>
>Try smart instead of yumex.

I have tried that Axel, but it doesn't appear to come with the extra repos
like yours as an available option.  It did seem to help once I'd managed
to find the repo data.  I also managed to crash it a couple of times, but
ti didn't trash the rpm database when it did.

>yum install smart
>rpm -Uhv
> http://dl.atrpms.net/all/atrpms-package-config-115-3.fc6.at.i386.rpm

This helped.  Now where can I find the other 2 of these triplets, dries
and freshrpms?

>> >So what the heck is the em8300 beast, and how big a rifle do O need
>> > to put it out of its misery?
>
>em8300 is the DXR3/Hollywood Plus card, do you have such a device
>installed?

No, never even been in the same store with one on the shelf AFAIK.

And smart was able to remove with minimal collateral damage, the wrongly
installed em8300 module that was creating much of the dependency hell,
thank you very much, Axel.

>> Damn, typo's when I pi$$ed. s/0/I above.
>> Fedora Core 6, supposedly uptodate although today I've been stiring
>> the pot with a very long handled spoon.

I'm still stirring.  This seems to be more intelligent than synaptic, my
hat is off to the author.  But it needs an 'about' in the final version
so we know who to thank, this one doesn't have one that I've found.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)