Re: playing in both sound cards simultaneously

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
> The thread on the mailing list may have been my one.

Ya, I checked it and it is indeed yours.
> Now, about your problem: I'm not sure whether I really understand it.
> What you want to do is record stuff with one sound card while playing
> other stuff with the other sound card, right?

No not really. I am able to do this using asym plugin. Thus capture from my
first card (on board one) *using Mic* and play on my 2nd card. What I really
want is to be able to record streaming music online using Audacity and not
something from Mic.

(1) I can't physically connect my headphones out to line in because my
headphone jack is broken.

(2) As streaming music goes directly to my usb sound card, my on-board card
doesn't get any music at all on its first playback device and hence I cant'
capture it.

(3) I think, the only option is to copy (route) the music playing on my usb
sound card also to the on-board sound card and then use the asym plugin, as
you suggested to capture that streaming music.

(4) I can't think of any way other than using multi plugin to create virtual
device consisting of both sound cards and then using ttables to duplicate the
sound on 2 channels of usb sound card to other two channels of on board sound
card. This will make music data available to first playback & capture device
of on board sound card and hence I can capture it using audacity or any other
application. In fact, I am able to do this using .asoundrc at the end of this
email but then I loose the dmixing capabilities on my usb sound card. And
this is the reason, I want to reference dmixer slave instead of using direct
hard ware device in multi slave below.

> > pcm.audacity {
> >         type plug
> > 	slave.pcm "multi"